Monday, December 10, 2007

Toy Zone (NW Military)


I love old movies. I have Ginger Rogers, Cary Grant, and Doris Day Tivo-ed. My dream evening would be a frosty snow outside the window, a hearty fire keeping me warm, fluffy fleece pajamas, decadent hot chocolate in my mug, and a black-and-white movie on my television.

One of my favorites is "The Shop Around the Corner" with the unmatchable Jimmy Stewart. Years later, it was remade into "You've Got Mail" with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. For once, a remake was at least as good as the original.

In the movie, Meg Ryan plays a small bookstore owner that is in danger of being put out of business by a behemoth Borders/Barnes and Noble megastore progeny. She is counting on the depth of her knowledge of children's books and her passion for literature to triumph over the glitz and prices offered elsewhere.

Her charming shop is the stuff that dreams are made of. But here in San Antonio, we have a toy store with all of the same enchanting features.

The store is a small wonderland packed with plastic animals, metal trains, colorful art supplies, and much more. They carry popular brands and unknown joys.

The owner of Toy Zone has been selling delights to children of all ages since 1985. You will not find a disinterested part-timer punching the clock here. Instead, expect to have a conversation with the owner as he helps you find just the right item for the person on your gift list.

Last year, an aunt bought my youngest a primary-colored button set that had pre-designed pictures for you to match your buttons to. I had never seen anything like it. She told me that she found it at Toy Zone, and that the gentleman had selected the Italian toy when she said that she wanted something for her 2 year old niece. My daughter has been enjoying it ever since.

A few days ago, we decided to buy a tricycle for that same daughter, now 3. She will surely grow out of it before too long, as she idolizes her big sisters and already wants to ride the two-wheeled bikes that they do. So, we wanted something that would last for a little while, but not break the bank. The shopkeeper showed us his wide selection of trikes, and helped us find a perfect model.

As we shopped, I noticed that he knew several of the customers by name, and remembered items that they had purchased in the past. He conspired with me as I hid a few items under a bag so that my children would not see the Christmas presents that I had chosen.

This level of customer service is a rare find in a day where the bottom line and hurried pace are Almighty. This is what you get when you come to someone who treats their job like a vocation.

And what vocation could be a more happy one than one where you make children and parents smile every day?

Perhaps the greatest proof to me that Toy Zone is a special little place, is that my daughters all cry "Toy Zone!" if we drive down NW Military, but I don't hear a peep when we pass Toys R Us.

Or maybe, it is just because their Webkinz rack is easier to find.

Toy Zone: 1003 NW Military, 78231 210-366-1300

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love toys. I'll have to check it out soon. Thanks Camille. I have driven past it many times and have wondered what was in there.